Request an Evaluation

As a parent, you have the right to an evaluation (resource from the Learning Disabilities Association of America) for your student if they are having difficulty in reading, mathematics, written expression, or other aspects of school.

Parents may request an evaluation ( in writing, with copies to the principal and the school district’s director or coordinator of special education. Parents should retain copies of all correspondence relating to their child and follow up with the school principal on the status of the request.

The Federation for Children with Special Needs (FCSN) Parent’s Manual and an additional guide from the Learning Disabilities of America site are additional resources.

Your child may be eligible for an independent evaluation (IEE, private, or outside evaluation)

  • The school district’s evaluation did not cover an area of suspected concern
  • The parent may obtain an independent evaluation at private expense at any time